Burden students attend school in the Central of Burden Unified School District 462. Burden has 315 students enrolled in classes. Students can participate in many activities including band and football. The USD 462 district is comprised of an elementary school and a Jr/Sr High School.
Burden is home to 536 residents as of 2013. Burden has two locally owned and operated restaurants as well as several other locally owned businesses. Burden offers a great place to settle down or raise a family and the surrounding towns have many attractions to offer including the Wellington Regent Theatre and Augusta City Lake.
Wellington, Augusta, and Derby are 45 minutes from Burden. Winfield is under 25 minutes away. Highway US-160 runs through downtown Burden for convenient commuting.
Burden Local Attractions/Activities
Burden is home to Fraley’s Pizza and 160 Café. The United Methodist Church and First Baptist Church both lay within the Burden city limits. Wellington and other surrounding cities offer many attractions including the Wellington Regent Theatre and Augusta City Lake.
Burden – History
In the early history of Kansas, Burden is described as the child at the railroad in-as-much it came to the railroad rather than the railroad coming to it. In 1879 the town site of Burden was surveyed by a town company consisting of R. F. Burden, Ford, Leonard, O. B. Gunn and T. K. Johnson. R. F. Burden was the chairman of this company and the town was so named in compliment to him.
The Kansas City, Lawrence and Southern Kansas Railroad was completed, February 1, 1882. The town was established and the population increased rapidly for a period of time. The first store building was occupied by Ford and Leonard with a stock of general merchandise. The second building was occupied by Hooker and Phelps, druggists, and the third was the Post Office building. The first birth in the city was a daughter born to Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Hooker. The first marriage was that of: Mr. James H. Woods and Miss Hattie Smith. The first death was that of Mr. Wm. Schooling who was building a store room, and passed away before its completion. The first physician of the town was Dr. J. M. Wright and I. S. Moore was the first attorney. Prior to the founding of the town, a Post Office had been established at Moscow, with L. W. Hogue-as Postmaster. This was moved to Burden and E. A. Henthorn became the first Postmaster of Burden. A school had been conducted one mile north of the chosen townsite and this was also moved onto the site in 1881. The instructors were Mr. E A. Millard and Miss Mattie West, who were succeeded by Mr. T. J. Rude and Mrs. Mary A. Rude in 1882. The school enrollment was 150.
(Source- East Central Cowley County Historical Society-www.eccchistory.org)